Vinyl Auto Body Wrap
Vinyl body wraps are becoming an increasingly popular aftermarket accessory, changing the look of a car as well as preserving the original paint from chips and scratches
Transform your vehicle the quick and easy way with a vinyl wrap (car wrap) will transform the appearance of your vehicle without the need for a costly and permanent re-spray.
• Remove it at any time and return to the vehicle's original finish
• Protect andpreserve the original paintwork
• Change the colour of your vehicle quickly and easily
Vinyl body wraps that is designed to be applied onto paint’s surface to provide maximum protection for as long as the film stays on the paint. There are various brands of paint protection film on the market (3M, Avery, Bekaert, Llumar, Madico, Premier Protective Films and Venture)
Vinyl body wrap has many advantages; it saves time and money on repairs normally requiring bodywork, repairs such as paint chips, car getting keyed, scrapes and scuffs, etc, as the film protects you from all that and keeps the car original and minor body repair work-free.
Regular solid colour vinyl wraps approximately $1,500 -3000, Custom design $2000 – 3,000 (USD April 2011).
Several things to keep in mind:
1. Installation is the key - no bubbles, no wrinkles
2. Also part of installation experience - razor cuts in paint. Be sure to check to see what their warranty is on razor paint cuts.
3. Pre-installation- a completely clean surface free of any products or contaminants is a requirement. Installer’s will use a chemical paint cleaner to enable the adhesives used to adhere efficiently
4. Vinyl can be removed without harming OEM paint. If you have aftermarket paint, then there is a chance of paint coming up with the vinyl
5. Paint can take 1-2 weeks for an entire car. Vinyl can be applied in 2-4 days depending on the shop's capabilities / manpower
6. Retain OEM paint. When you get tired of the vinyl, it can be removed and redone with another colour without affecting the underlying paint
7. Clear Vinyl body wraps allows ultra violet (UV) radiation to pass through the film and fade the paint underneath at the same rate as the exposed paint
8. Do not use products that contain petroleum distillates as urethane absorbs them and causes it to yellow.
9. Always remove stains as soon as possible using a mild solution of d-limonene solvent detergent(P21S Total Auto Wash)
10. Repainting an entire car properly would cost anywhere from $8k-$12k depending on the exact vehicle vs. typical vinyl installations ( ~ $3k Premier Protective Films)
11. In general, the amount of orange peel is directly proportionate with the texture of the liner the material is laminated to. If the liner is made of paper, you will see a higher amount of orange peel. If it is on a smooth, optically clear plastic liner (such as polyester), you will have no orange peel.
12. Care and maintenance recommendations are often dependent upon manufacturers grade of film
Cleaning / Care
Swisswax Opaque products for Matte Satin finish vinyl wraps have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance of matt satin paint or vinyl wraps.
1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
7. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
8. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudges
Alternative products- Optimum Polymer Technologies Opti-Coat 2.0 is a professional grade paint coating that forms a permanent shield on your car’s finish. It is not a wax or paint sealant, both of which are sacrificial in nature and degrade over time, but is a glossy, clear coating that uses advanced resin technology to protect PPF, paint, wheels, plastic trim, metal surface, and head lights