Whether storing overnight or long term, covers are often the most effective solution. Protect your investment with a car cover, outdoors, car covers offer unequalled protection against ultraviolet (UV) radiation they are manufactured to be water-resistant and are available in various breathable fabric materials that provide protection from acid rain, pollution, bird excrement, tree sap and windblown debris, as well as protection against every type of climatic conditions, can be used for both long-term indoor or outdoor vehicle storage.
Covercraft Products are well known in the automotive industry as the largest manufacturer of custom patterned car covers in the world. Started in 1965 as a two-person company, now with over 500-employee’s supplying the automotive aftermarket, original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and specialty markets with over 45,000 custom cover patterns, made in the USA with the QS 9000 standards rating award, meeting strict international quality standards. They offer a four year replacement warranty.
· California Car Cover Company - How to Select -
· Cover World - http://www.carcoverworld.com
· Cover craft Europe - http://www.covercraft-europe.com Covercraft Europe is the world’s largest maker of custom-fit car covers, motorbike & scooter covers, jet-ski covers, pet covers, pet pads and cargo tech bags-
· Covercraft Vehicle Protection Products - http://calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx#ultraweave
For relative ease of handling choose a cover with a fabric weight of between 4-7 oz. per sq. yd. Used for long-term vehicle storage, either in the garage or outdoors, car covers protect against accidental scratches and dings from passers-by, car doors, lawn mowers, sporting equipment, bikes and pets.
Started in 1965 as a two-person company, now with over 500-employee’s supplying the automotive aftermarket, original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and specialty markets with over 45,000 custom cover patterns. Made in the USA with the QS 9000 standards rating award, meeting strict international quality standards
Some fabrics offer more heat insulation than others, simply because they are multi-layered and are more effective at keeping heat away from the vehicle surface, but any cover will help reduce the vehicle temperature on a hot day. They are manufactured to be water-resistant, available in various breathable fabric materials for protection against every type of climatic conditions, as well as both long-term indoor or outdoor vehicle storage
Car Cover Product Selection
A quality car cover with a soft inner liner will not damage the paint; the key is to put the cover on a car that is clean and waxed. This will help prevent any possible damage from environmental damage (ultra violet radiation, acidic bird and insect excrement, airborne dirt and grime, acid rain, and etc.). It will also keep the interior cooler avoiding the damage caused by ultra violet radiation and subsequent photo degradation. This results in discoloration, fading, embitterment, cracking, chalking and/or loss of interior vinyl, leather upholstery, carpeting, and etc.
A car cover must allow transpiration; when you have any solid or liquid in a humid environment, you have absorption of water at the surface. Moisture due to condensation must to allowed to dissipate, otherwise the paint will haze and if moisture is trapped it will damage the paint surface. For these reasons when storing a vehicle never place anything (i.e. a water-proof tarp) on top of a car cover
Paint will sometimes show ‘hazing” after removing a car cover that has not allowed transpiration. The temporary hazing, which can appear as a slight dull discoloration, stain, or raised surface in the paint is caused by the paint finish absorbing moisture
Correction- In most cases, by applying Isopropyl alcohol and exposure to heat (sunlight) allows the moisture to evaporate within a few hours. For colder climates, moisture evaporation recovery can be accelerated by placing the vehicle indoors and using a portable infrared heat lamp (or professional-type heat gun). Allow the affected area to outgas by not using a wax or sealer on the affected are for a few days
In extreme cases if a waterproof cover i.e. a tarp is used to cover a vehicle it may cause delamination. A polyurethane paint (high solid / low solvent) clear coat can absorb moisture; as water molecules are smaller than a cross-linked clear coats molecule. Moisture (condensation) can permeate and break down the chemical bonds between the clear coat and the basecoat; this sometimes produces small bubbles in the paint surface. This will also cause delamination between the layers since once the chemical bond is destroyed; only the weaker mechanical bond remains.
1. Vehicle Storage
a) Indoor: Dustop ™ a four layer cover with maximum dust protection and its soft inner layer protects paint.
b) Long Term Outdoor: WeatherShield™ heavy duty (HD) - primarily for intense sun environments and long-term storage provides optimum protection from a multi-layer breathable (heavyweight) fabric.
2. Outdoor Weather Protection - Ultratect Car Cover:
This car cover doesn’t just keep your vehicle looking showroom new; this cutting-edge fabric retains its sharp looks longer than other materials. Each cover is stitched together using solution-dyed WeatherMax® SL fabrics, the most fade-resistant you can find. Every single thread is dyed from the inside out, not just on its surface. This advanced colouring process leaves your Ultratect car cover fully fade resistant.
Along with retaining its colour longer, this cover also delivers superior outdoor protection against water and UV rays. It’s finished on both sides with HydroMax to repel rain and morning dew, yet still remains fully breathable for natural drying. And, this lightweight car cover blocks against even the harshest sun exposure.
Never one-size-fits-all, they are custom tailored for a form fit on your vehicle. Plus, this tight cover holds its shape longer than most and won’t get baggy. You even get a solid 4-year warranty
a) Severe Rain Storms:
EvolutionTM (Technalon™) - a heavyweight, four-layer fabric for extended outdoor use, but especially heavy rain protection.
b) Inclement Weather:
Noah™ by Kimberly Clark™ — a three-layer fabric to provide more water resistance than most covers as well as UVR protection for extended outdoor use, but especially heavy rain protection.
c) Severe sun exposure:
Sunbrella™ by Glen Raven Mills, Inc In areas of high sun but little rain a Sunbrella™ cover provides the best UVR protection for prolonged sun exposure, a durable long-lasting fabric that protects interior and exterior finish, provides almost complete UV block, fade and water resistant.
d) Severe sun exposure:
Reflec'tect™ Lightweight woven fabric has a UV-reflective silver-colour finish that helps keep the vehicle cooler, fabric is water resistant and also repels dust and dirt to help keep the vehicle clean, compact for easy trunk storage,3 Year Warranty Easy to handle for installation and removal, this lightweight cover provides good all season protection.
3. Convertible Interior Care:
Sunbrella™ by Clen Raven Mills, Inc. Easy to use protection for convertibles when the top is down, the interior cover protects the windshield and the vehicle interior from UV radiation, the suns heat, airborne pollutants, and droppings from trees and birds
4. Two-cover system:
During high winds the use of this system will avoid paint surface marring from the cover being buffered by high force winds
1. Dustop™ - 4 layer cover with maximum dust protection and its soft inner layer protects paint.
2. WeatherShield™ HD- primarily for intense sun environments and long-term storage provides optimum protection from a multi-layer breathable (heavyweight) fabric.
Car Covers - Car Cover World: Complete Covercraft Range, Custom-Fit Covers, Ready-Fit Covers, Tonneau Covers, Front End Masks, Seat Savers, UV Heat shields
Placing Cover on Vehicle
Do not place a car cover on a dusty or dirty car (dry surface with a waffle weave towel or remove dust with a car duster) Ensure that the cover fits well and keep the cover clean (dust / dirt between the inside of the cover or the vehicle surface will cause scratching) Purchase a good quality cover that is manufactured from a durable fabric suitable for your local climatic conditions and expected usage.
To place car cover on vehicle; start by placing the rolled-up cover on the centre of the roof (do not drag cover across vehicle surface as it may cause scratching) unroll from the middle to the rear of vehicle and then middle to front, unroll left side and then right using mirror `pockets' (if fitted) Ensure that cover is `tight' and attach cable and lock (if required) Remove from vehicle opposite to the above and store dry cover in storage bag (if supplied)
Ensure that cover is `tight' and attach cable and lock (if required) Remove from vehicle opposite to the above and store dry cover in storage bag (if supplied)
In strong wind conditions when removing the car cover use the side mirrors as 'anchors’. Remove the front and back portions and then roll towards the top. Then, remove the mirror pocket from one side mirror, then the other. Use a similar method when covering the car, by first attaching the mirror pockets to the side mirrors.
Pull the front edge up to about halfway along the length of the car, and then do the same with the back edge so that it meets the front edge, you've just got outside to outside contact. You can then fold the cover in half and only have inside to inside contact, and continue folding this way until it's manageable and can be stuffed into a carry bag. Of course, you then need to be very careful when placing it back on the car so that you perform the above operation in reverse order.
Cleaning – Maintenance / Care
Car cover fabric performance can be severely affected by dirt that builds up on and within the material. It can cause the windshield and paint to become dirty and fogged as well as create wicking where it actually helps pull water through the fabric, nullifying any water resistant properties the fabric may have had. Cleaning your cover will help to keep your vehicle clean and to increase the service life of the cover.
Some fabrics offer more heat insulation than others, simply because they are multi-layered and are more effective at keeping heat away from the vehicle surface, but any cover will help reduce the vehicle temperature on a hot day.
They are manufactured to be water-resistant, available in various breathable fabric materials for protection against most types of climatic conditions, as well as both long-term indoor or outdoor vehicle storage.
Using a Commercial Washing Machine
• Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt
• Covers should be taken to a commercial Laundromat and washed in large automatic washers without agitator. Use Woolite® (no soap or detergent). Wash your cover using the "Normal" or "Permanent Press" cycles in cold or warm water. Do not wash in hot water.
• Put the cover through two rinse cycles - it is important that the entire cleaning solution be removed in order to preserve the cover's water resistance, and then air dry.
• Do not put the cover in an automatic heated dryer (the fabric can melt or shrink)
• Do not dry-clean covers as the chemicals used will negatively affect the fabric protection abilities and durability
Car Cover Cleaning and Care
• Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt
• Gently rinse cover with clean water
• Wash with a 5:1 clean water / Woolite solution, using a soft brush to loosen any stubborn dirt (Do not scrub surface (see Spots and Stains)
• Thoroughly rinse with clean water to remove soap solution
• Allow to thoroughly air-dry
• Apply 303™ High Tech Fabric Guard by spraying from approximately 6-inch above the surface with a side-to-side motion, dampen but do not saturate.
• Two applications will ensure complete coverage, allow air-drying between applications.
• Allow cover to dry before storage.
• The inside of a cover may also be cleaned by turning it inside-out on the vehicle and repeating the above steps
• Allow to thoroughly air-dry
RaggTopp Horse Hair Brush - this natural horse hair brush will not harm the finish of your cover. It’ nonabrasive and is incredibly soft, yet strong enough to get into the fibres and texture of your fabric cover. The design of the brush makes it easy to grip and gently scrub dirt and grime from your convertible top, car cover or other fabric and vinyl material like tonneau covers, vinyl awnings.
Notes – Do not
1. Clean a car cover in a washer with a centre agitator
2. Use fabric softener.
3. Dry a non-woven or specialty type cover in a dryer.
About once per month, dependent upon usage / climate, rinse the cover with clean water by gently hosing to remove surface dust or dirt that may have settled. This will extend the time requirements for between soap and water cleaning / washing. Use a rolling tape type lint brush, designed to remove lint from clothing, on your car cover. Daily use will remove any lint or light dust and reduce cleaning time dramatically.
Spots and Stains - spray the spot until wet with 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover™, agitate with a medium-soft brush and let stand. Then blot up the stain and excess cleaner as described above. If necessary, repeat, agitate and let stand a few minutes before wiping clean. Dry completely before use
• Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt.
• With the cover on the vehicle wet the surface
• Spots and Stains - spray the spot until wet with 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover™, agitate with a medium-soft brush and let stand. Then blot up the stain and excess cleaner as described above. If necessary, repeat, agitate and let stand a few minutes before wiping clean.
• Using a clean low pressure water hose, an alkaline soap and a medium stiff brush – wet the surface with water and apply the soap by brushing.
• Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry
Infrared radiation represents part of the ultra violet solar spectrum (approximately 55%-60%). The remaining heat source comes from visible and ultra violet (UV) light
Heat alone will not cause photosynthesis (fading) UVB radiation is what is responsible, although it will dry the resin (binder system) in paint; leading to oxidation. It will also dry out the oils and plasticizers in vinyl and other materials and may lead to structural damage (this is especially relevant to open top convertibles)
Ultra violet penetration of auto glass; UV radiation is present in the sun’s rays throughout the year in varying amounts. Ordinary auto window glass filters out about 97% of the UV-B radiation and about 37% of UV-A radiation.
Touchless Car Cover
Unlike a traditional car cover, it will take seconds to put the Touchless Car Cover on your vehicle or take it off. No longer will dust and dirt get on your well taken care of car because of a dirty traditional car cover.
• Concours enthusiasts - put your car away on site the day before, work on it in the rain,
• Indoor storage in open barns, car ports- drive in and out, saving time
• Outdoor summer storage under trees, on driveways, for classics and modern cars- you can drive a wet or dirty car straight in
• Race cars in the paddock - keeps open cars dry and provides a workplace
• Detailer’s carry on working when it rains without cumbersome and heavy pop-ups
• Newly re-sprayed cars - protect without touching
Its UV protection will save your interior from the harmful effects of the sun. Best of all, this remarkable hand assembled car cover costs about the same or less than a traditional quality car cover.
By protecting your pride and joy you will recover the cost many times over at resale - Vertar
Universal front / rear entry, 16'4" / 4.98m long, folds into own bag 4 ft. x 2 inches, steel cable and padlock supplied
• Aston Martin up to DB7, DB9, DBS and V8
• BMW up to 6 series
• Bentley Continental
• Ferrari up to 599, F430
• Lamborghini up to Murcielago
• Mercedes to SL, E-Class
• Porsche all models except Cayenne
• Volvo - even the V70 estate and XC70